Friday, July 18, 2014

Dangerous Rivers, Solstice Sunsets, and Prehistoric Pike!

Maria crossing the glacial stream- don't fall!
Middle Dangerous:
One of the most beautiful days in Yakutat (I think it hit 75 that day!), Maria, Susan, Teresa, & I (and the 3 dogs (Lexi, Keechay, and Echo) had a ladies-only hike out to the Middle Dangerous River Cabin.  It was sunny and just lovely! The warmth was welcome especially when we crossed one of the streams that forks off from the Dangerous to get to our sweet lunch spot.

A little about the Dangerous River: First of all, it's called the Dangerous River, so that right there should drop some hints.  It's a glacially fed river, come down from Harlequin Lake. That being said- it is murky and you can't see your foot 1 inch under the water, and it is COOOOLLLDDDD!!!

I've jumped into the Kennebec a few times before Memorial Day, so I like to think I've handled cold water, but I also spent a year snorkeling in Samoa and am absolutely a baby when it comes to cold water now. I wasn't bothered at all by the sharp rocks on my bare feet (how could I be, if my feet were going numb!?); I RAN across that thing like it was hot lava.  I did not understand how the other ladies were bothered by the rocks enough to cross the stream slowly-  it was PAINfully cold!  I remember telling myself (I may have actually been screaming it) to think of how hot and sweaty I was in Samoa while scampering across it, yelping and shrieking.

our lunch spot was worth the stream crossing!
The Solstice
After the perfect day of hiking, we returned home and a perfect night followed that perfect day.
I'm still not ready to try to put our solstice experience from the Chateau del suenos (our house of dreams) into words...but I will try.

The solstice. was. stunning. Maria and I camped out on our porch, and I'm 100% certain that it was the most divine sunset I've ever seen. The artistic masterpiece of a higher being at work! Mount St. Elias was on FIRE as Maria and I raced up our stairs outside the house to get a better view, expressing our joy through the giddy squeals that escaped our bodies. As a sprinted up the stairs after Maria, I added, "all we need now are some whales for the camera!". And Yakutat, in its punctual delivery of perfection from the natural world, delivered porpoises.  All we could do was laugh as we heard the spouts of water coming from the pod swimming across the bay in front of our house.

We stood speechless for a while, and we knew that this moment, the glimpse into a universe greater than ourselves would hardly be shared with the rest of the world (It was 11:30 at night and we could not comprehend where even were our neighbors?! How could they not come out even for a glimpse!??!), by word or cameras. One friend did stop by to lay his eyes on the pure beauty.As many pictures and videos as I took that night, the moment was unable to be captured. I remember thinking how so few people get to experience this moment, this kind of moment; one of wonder. Something sacred and transcendent; very expressive of the capabilities of the natural world, or whatever force you shall owe it to. There was definitely something bigger at work there. Some might say God, others may find themselves in awe of science. I don't really know where I stand, but I can appreciate whatever reasoning someone may find behind it. I guess that's what makes me a good U.U?


After feasting our eyes and gaining our breath back after hollering our happiest of joys, we went back down to the bottom porch, and did what anyone would do in such a moment. We turned on some Journey and danced to the heavens!  The mountains had never seemed so close or clear, the water had never reflected such an orange.  Each moment got better.

I've been trying to upload a video of it but not having much luck. The pictures can try, but only try, to do the sacrosanct instant some justice.

Pike Lakes
Out on Forest Highway-10 in Yakutat, there are a bunch of remote lakes that are only accessible by game trails that have been stomped down just a bit by the few who know how to navigate out to them (like Nate!). We also needed to get data from some hobo temperature monitors out there anyway for a climate study.  I can't believe I was debating NOT going out there with Nate, Bill, and Susan, but once Nate told me that Pike Lakes was probably a place I probably wouldn't get out to again, I had to go!

This system of lakes is home to a genetically unique type of pike; ones that are surprisingly more genetically similar to eastern Pike than the pike out west. These lakes are so unique because the area they are located in was not glaciated during the last ice age, creating this distinct micro-ecosystem in Yakutat.  So, I guess that means these huge prehistoric pike are pretty special! I've read that the pike out there can grow to 40 inches, and eat basically anything you cast at them; points that I believe after having fished out there!

Nate set up my rod with something that looked like a mouse, since I guess the pike eat mice that try to swim across the lake. After moving to a new spot to cast from, I was setting up my rod with the lure out over the water and all of a sudden felt the pole jerk straight out of my grip. "Jeeeezzzzussss!" I gasped with surprise.  I can't properly say that I caught that pike- I'm pretty sure he caught me.  It was totally gorgeous out there, wading around the lake....minus the bugs.


Excuse my immensely poor fish-handling skills- I'm learning! Sorry fish!



Other events!
We've gone out shrimping and crabbing trips, as well as some halibut fishing. The shrimp and crab pots always come up filled with lots of huge sunstars that are attracted to the bait and they need to be peeled off- so cool! Also.. I never thought I could work in the butchery section of a grocery store, but now I am guilty of helping to process black bear. Nate shot his first (a moment he said was not one he wants to remember) so that he can have red meat the rest of the year (it's silly to eat nasty meat from far away that had a terrible life when you can get as grass-fed, local, organic meat from right in your backyard here!).  As difficult as it is to think of a bear being killed, it's important to see exactly where your food comes from, and here, bear is a much better answer in terms of sustainability than beef from some CAFO from the lower 48.

Nugget!
I've missed a few big events in my blog including the Tern Festival in which I got to learn how to band birds and had a barn owl named Nugget and falcon named Phil from the Juneau Raptor Center stay at the bunkhouse with me!
Phil!

Putting the band w/ ID number on his leg
Wilson's warbler!














We also did some tern observations out on Black Sand Spit searching for birds with geolocators attached to them.

At the end of June we had the annual Family Fishing Day, which I was in charge of organizing this year. Basically there are lots of fish related games (like pin the tail on the sockeye, facepainting, fish tshirt printing, etc) and family's come and fish down the on the docks with their kids.  We had a splendid day for it, and I got a nice sunburn (something I didn't think would happen in Yakutat!)  Smokey the Bear even made an appearance!



Smokey the Bear, dancing
Teresa, Amanda, me, Elyse, and Sarah after the color run 5k during Tern Festival (kids threw chalk dust at us in the woods)

How we celebrated the 4th of July after the village parade.. Alaskan white= yuumm!

:) Baby tern snuggled in his nest out on Black Sand Spit

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful writing, Sara, as well as amazing photos!! I can begin to imagine what the solstice celebration was like! Can't wait to visit Juneau!

    ReplyDelete